• Announcements

• vpc

Our Place Has Moved   09/30/2018

Our Place has moved to a new location:      http://ourplaceonline.freeforums.net/forum  You will need to reregister at the new site as we are unable to transfer any content from here to there.   You will no longer be able to post here after 4th October, but the forum will remain visible until the end of October. If you are having problems registering at the new site, please admin.our.place@gmail.com                                                                                             
Our Place Administrators

Welcome to Book Club

Our Place Administrators

Welcome to Book Club :nature-smiley-008:

Here you can participate in group studies of books that can inform, empower and help healing from abuse.

There is also a Book Exchange that can only be seen by members.

We have divided the forum into sub-forums so that each book has it's own area.

To begin with there is: The Nice Girl Syndrome

As new books are chosen, we will add more subforums.

if you have suggestions for books or ideas that could be useful for the forum please add to this thread. All ideas are welcome :)

Happy Reading

Our Place Administrators

free2bme

Not sure if this is where I ask this question. I'm on my iPhone. So navigation is a little difficult.

I just got an email from an abuse type website referring me to a book called 'Divorce Secrets'. Anyone heard of it? It sounds really good. It seems to be designed for women in abusive relationships and how to get out feeling more financially secure, as well as more confident in other areas.

I might get it but wanted to check with you all first. :) Thank you.

vpc

Can't see anything wrong with posting the question here Linny, but more people might see it if you post it in the main forum as well.

I haven't heard of the book, but I'd be interested in having a look at it. Off to google for me!

mm419

A really good book that I read is "Men who Hate Women and the Women who Love Them" by Susan Forward. It was the first abuse book that I read and it made a lasting impact.

Then there is the classic "Why Does He Do That?" By Lundy Bancroft.

Also "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin DeBecker has some excellent information on stalking and how to stay safe after leaving. The author was very involved with the prosecution side of the OJ Simpson trial, so he is very informed.

Appletree

I don't know the situation where others live, but I can borrow books electronically from my library. It doesn't have all the books recommended here but it does have some. I read them on my phone. No chance of him finding the hard copy and if you password protect your phone you should be ok. My husband does not snoop around tech devices and is not tech savvy anyway (and I very rarely let my phone out of my sight - I literally take it everywhere) so I feel reasonably safe doing this. You only need internet to download the book to an app and after that you can read it off-line. On expiry of the loan period the book is automatically wiped from the device.