• Announcements

• Curly

Replying to PMs

Please note that you can not reply to a personal message by replying to the notification email. Recently admins have received some email responses to personal messages. This is because some members have replied to the notification email. You can not reply to a personal message via the email. What replying to the notification email does is send a copy of the original message and the reply to the admin email address. It does not send your reply to the person who sent you the message. The email notification of the personal message does request "PLEASE DO NOT REPLY DIRECTLY TO THIS EMAIL!"
    • Curly

New Members and validating your account.

New members registering please do not hesitate to contact our admin if you do not see a validation email within a few minutes of registering. Yahoo and some other email addresses tend to block the validation email and without this part of the process your account remains in limbo. Our admins are more than happy to help you complete the validation process should this automated system fail. We can be contacted via admin.our.place@gmail.com Please note that you may experience a delay between registering your account and validating before you are able to post as we do also manually process all registrations to keep this forum free of spam. Your account should be activated within 24 hours of you completing the validation process. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
OrangeTea

OT: boycotting Ama zon

OrangeTea

So, assuming that Ama zon never properly apologized for having that pedophile's guide for sale, I'm boycotting them. Can anyone suggest other good online sites for buying books and DVDs, that ship internationally?

Thanks!

Pi

http://www.fnac.com/. It is a French site but has books in English. Watch out if you want to ship dvd's overseas. I don't even know if they have movies in the original language (without French subtitles) but the US (maybe Oceania has too) have a different screen format. You can't play European dvd's on an American dvd-player or the other way around. You CAN play them on a computer, Windows will ask to change the screen format needed.

Here is a list of online shops in the USA itself.

http://www.shopsafe.com/

nooblette

thanks. I was planning on boycotting Amazon but I wanted to buy three more copies of "Why does he do that?" because I've given my other two copies away already. (yes I'm turning into a DV Evangalist :P ) So I went to Bancroft's site and I was like "I'll just order from them directly" but then the site linked me back to Amazon to buy the books. /facepalm

So I caved and bought all three copies through them instead just yesterday. *sigh* I'll try the other sites next time.

OrangeTea

Thanks, Pi. Mostly I want to order stuff to be delivered directly to the States, so I want to order from a US site. :) Fnac is pretty good, though.

Noob, I ended up ordering from B&N. We'll see how that goes. They didn't seem to have a problem shipping internationally either (one DVD I need I can only find in the US) so that's good.

christinadarling987

I only heard about it from this site. I don't remember hearing it on the news or in the papers. I'm not sure if people are even aware, but I could be wrong. I love B&N and thats where I always used to get my books. I will never order from anyone who promotes abuse of any kind.

Zeemeeuw

Did Amazon actually carry that book, or was the person selling his book using Amazon as the interface? There's a difference. On their site there is a link for selling your own books through Amazon. I've bought many books from third party sellers who list them on Amazon.

Zee

nooblette
Did Amazon actually carry that book, or was the person selling his book using Amazon as the interface? There's a difference. On their site there is a link for selling your own books through Amazon. I've bought many books from third party sellers who list them on Amazon.

Zee

he self-published it through Amazon AND sold it through Amazon, the book actually violated the conditions of self-publishing that Amazon has. And yet Amazon did not immediately take it down when they were notified that this had happened. It took a couple of days and public pressure, if I understand the situation clearly.