• Announcements

• vpc

Our Place Has Moved   09/30/2018

Our Place has moved to a new location:      http://ourplaceonline.freeforums.net/forum  You will need to reregister at the new site as we are unable to transfer any content from here to there.   You will no longer be able to post here after 4th October, but the forum will remain visible until the end of October. If you are having problems registering at the new site, please admin.our.place@gmail.com                                                                                             
Sign in to follow this  
vpc

Philadelphia City Council Approves Unpaid Leave for Survivors of Domestic Violence

percolate

I thought that was pretty decent of Philadelphia to pass that law. And didn't hear about it until the university where I work emailed everyone a link to the new policy (only 4 or 5 months after they passed the bill requiring employers with over 50 employees to grant unpaid leaves to survivors of domestic violence).

Better late than never I guess.

Curly

As unpaid leave I suspect it will be under used rather than over used.

If money is tight I suspect there are many who will still not take that time off to go to court. Food on the table for my kids or my day in court?

I guess I think that although it is something it is not enough.

percolate

I agree it's not enough-and paid leave would be much better. But they'd never get that passed because business owners wouldn't want to pay for the time off.

At least if someone needs to take off for a doctor's appointment or to go to court they can't fire them for taking the time off. Which is at least a little protection.

Trillian

Agreed. My bosses where really fed up with all the time the darned divorce took and one of them even had a discussion with me about my "personal issues" interfering with work.

At least this is some protection.

AFB

Long time coming - even for unpaid leave. But it's a start. I am fortunate in that my work pays employees who are required to appear as witness in court. I am not sure that this extends to thing like divorce, but for me, when I had to go to the Show Cause hearings as a witness and had a notice to that effect, I did not have to take vacation time or lose any wages for it. Actually it was HR who referred me to a local DV agency after I'd notified my supervisor about the Caller ID incident. I wish more work places were sensitive to these issues.

fatkat

At my workplace we can take 'special leave' to deal with personal emergencies. DV would seem to be one. AND we don't lose pay.

Sorry, but this is just the US being dragged protesting up to where Europe was about 20 years ago.

Better than nothing though, I suppose.

Curly

Fatkat Australia also has way more generous and flexible leave provisions as well. I do think that the US is inclined to lag behind in relation to what support there is for people's mental and emotional well being. It does appear to vary considerably from state to state and even county to county.

I think that raising awareness of the needs and also of what is offered in other countries will eventually bring about change.

I think that those in power do need to look at the real cost of domestic violence on the community as a whole. Victims are often not as productive as they could be. Children of these families are being harmed directly by the abuse in the family and in some instances more so because of the lack of real support for the main target of the abuse.

Offering more support to the victim to enable them to be self supporting and productive members of the community I do think would in the longer term be the cheaper option. That would include things like paid leave so court can be attended for intervention orders.

Just my opinion.

fatkat

Absolutely right, Curly.

And children who have suffered childhood abuse are more likely to be net consumers of public services in adult life than contributors, so it makes sound financial as well as moral sense to spend money on help and protection for families in danger (by 'eck, you can tell I work in the public sector, can't you?).

However that requires long-term thinking, which is something politicians are conspicuously bad at - the current financial crisis is evidence of that.

I hope there's a different mood with the new US president, and things will gradually improve.

Sign in to follow this