• Announcements

• Curly

Replying to PMs

Please note that you can not reply to a personal message by replying to the notification email. Recently admins have received some email responses to personal messages. This is because some members have replied to the notification email. You can not reply to a personal message via the email. What replying to the notification email does is send a copy of the original message and the reply to the admin email address. It does not send your reply to the person who sent you the message. The email notification of the personal message does request "PLEASE DO NOT REPLY DIRECTLY TO THIS EMAIL!"
    • Curly

New Members and validating your account.

New members registering please do not hesitate to contact our admin if you do not see a validation email within a few minutes of registering. Yahoo and some other email addresses tend to block the validation email and without this part of the process your account remains in limbo. Our admins are more than happy to help you complete the validation process should this automated system fail. We can be contacted via admin.our.place@gmail.com Please note that you may experience a delay between registering your account and validating before you are able to post as we do also manually process all registrations to keep this forum free of spam. Your account should be activated within 24 hours of you completing the validation process. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
Lorelei

Plumbing "problem" becomes plumbing crisis

Lorelei

Oh drat. Ms. Fix-it I am not. But the clogged kitchen sink decided to start leaking under the sink before I could get Mr. Fix-it Handyman here on Monday. Sigh.

Buckets of water carried out to the lemon tree and juniper trees. They say "thank you."

I took apart the plastic pipes under the sink. It was surprisingly easy.

I hope someday to fit them back together.

I have an augur. I've googled "plumbing snake how-to" and got some directions.

Pray for me.

I'm going in, Mr. Sulu.

Becky

Go, girl, go!

:animal-smiley-040::spudnikbackflip::clap:

Lorelei

Ah well. "Crisis" was a weensy bit of an exaggeration, just a messy wetness.

Nothing like cascades of water pouring out from under the cabinet to get your adrenalin pumping!

Auguring didn't work for me. The clog seems to be about 9 ft. out from the sink.

Gonna have to let Mr. Fix-it have a try at it first.

So: I turned off the water pipes to the sink.

I cleaned up the flood.

Can't do dishes or run the dishwasher.

I guess this means I'll be eating out this week?

Lorelei
Drain Clogs: How to Snake

Plumbing snakes (also called augers) are made in two varieties: drain augers and closet augers. Most people are familiar with the drain auger, a long, tightly wound flexible metal cable with a corkscrew auger at one end and a crank at the other. The closet auger is a little less familiar--it's a very short version of the snake with a rigid end that is easier to push down into a toilet.

googlead_21_g300x250.jpgHere's how to use a drain auger:

1. Wearing gloves, push the cable into the drain while turning the auger's handle clockwise. Keep repositioning the grip within a few inches of the entry point as you feed the snake into the drain.

2. When you feel the auger reach the blockage, keep turning and pull back a bit to chew away and dislodge the blockage.

3. Push forward again to grind away and, eventually, drive the auger through it.

4. If possible, pull the blockage back out through the pipe. At this point, the job becomes a mess, so have a bucket and rags ready, and pull the cable back through an old towel or heavy rag.

5. If this doesn't work, try to find a branch cleanout (a sanitary-T fitting with a plug in one fork, located along the drainpipe that runs from the fixture to the main soil stack, often visible in a basement or crawlspace). With a large bucket under the cleanout, slowly back out the plug with a wrench. Be ready: Water and waste may gush out.

6. Run a drain auger in through the branch pipe as described in Steps 1 through 4. If there doesn't appear to be a clog in the branch, the blockage may be in the main waste and vent stack or in the sewer line.

7. You can try to find the main cleanout and repeat this snaking effort, or you can try running an auger down the vent stack from the roof, although it is probably a better idea at this point to call in a plumber or a professional drain-clearing service.

percolate

You've done what you can (and you've done more than most). It's time for Mr. Fix-it to finish the job!

Sundays and holidays are always the worse time for plumbing messes. Which reminds me, it's been several years since I had someone trim the roots of my trees. The roots like to force themselves into little tiny cracks and then grow inside the pipe causing water and other things to back up into the house. I'd forgotten about that problem until you mentioned your plumbing problems.

Trillian

Yikes... Hope you get that fixed. I'm sort of a Ms Fix-it, but plumbing problems are a no-no. Nothing like big wet mess to get me stressed out and in a foul mood! :raincloud:

Well, in the meantime enjoy dining out! :P