• Announcements

• Curly

Replying to PMs

Please note that you can not reply to a personal message by replying to the notification email. Recently admins have received some email responses to personal messages. This is because some members have replied to the notification email. You can not reply to a personal message via the email. What replying to the notification email does is send a copy of the original message and the reply to the admin email address. It does not send your reply to the person who sent you the message. The email notification of the personal message does request "PLEASE DO NOT REPLY DIRECTLY TO THIS EMAIL!"
    • Curly

New Members and validating your account.

New members registering please do not hesitate to contact our admin if you do not see a validation email within a few minutes of registering. Yahoo and some other email addresses tend to block the validation email and without this part of the process your account remains in limbo. Our admins are more than happy to help you complete the validation process should this automated system fail. We can be contacted via admin.our.place@gmail.com Please note that you may experience a delay between registering your account and validating before you are able to post as we do also manually process all registrations to keep this forum free of spam. Your account should be activated within 24 hours of you completing the validation process. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
Quaddie

PTSD at work (and in life)

Quaddie

Despairing that all my life's energies and resources go to struggling to fulfill the most basic of Maslow-esque needs ... and which requires me to dissolve myself...   while what I crave are the higher levels of human being-ness... 

I NEVER FEEL SAFE. Not really in any respect. And it's not "just" that I don't "feel" safe but that in actuality I am - it's not "just a perception" that's false. I'm never actually "safe."  There is only one thing that can bring me safety, and it's something that'd basically take me a miracle to obtain, but that people disdain as a goal or necessity but in actuality it IS absolutely necessary in order to be and have safety at all..... otherwise everything is so precarious and I'll be imprisoned in one form or another, in more ways I cannot exist or cope - not because I am flawed, but because the situations themselves are....and I am not meant to exist within them, and I cannot operate within them...

Then there are all the tropes about "life is about dancing in-between crises" or whatever blahblahblahblahblah BLAH BLAH BLAH.    I'm tired, so tired....   so DONE with pretending to be interested in the life games that most people engage in without a second thought - Hopeless and helplessly, in horror, watching the very fabric and nets of our society disintegrate like the Hindenburg...   

I just can't.    The despair....   it's almost ever-present, it's about so, so much in life, it's just too much and I'm tired and feeling too old to even want to care about dealing with any of it, I've started over too many times, I've been plucky and it's landed me nowhere, there's too much "strength p0rn" dictating everyone's life, and I wasted my life in things just trying to survive instead of moving in ways to fulfill my being and I'm not able to reclaim anything anymore. 

Quaddie

and there are so many negative associations...with everything. Things that people bandy about every day as if they're nothing, or just "normal," to me bring up very, very bad associations - and ones that I really wouldn't want to change because to me they actually go against my soul and spirit and being.

So much of what most people consider normal and part of life, I just want nothing to do with at all. Not that it's "avoidance" per se - it just doesn't jibe with who or what I am, or want to be. I don't believe the same things as others. I don't feel the same way about most things, as others do. They are like nails on the chalkboard of my soul. Painful to my spirit, grating on me intolerably.

So while some of the negative associations that I'm constantly bombarded with - raining over me, at me, all over the place, everywhere - well, they're all due to actual negative experiences, traumas and such - but they're not things I want to "heal" because they're just not part of what I want in life, or who I am, or what I can even pretend to be anymore.

And it's so wearing - obviously - when you are constantly, constantly bombarded with negatives or reminders of how bad or stupid or unacceptably unusual you are seen as. Or how much a life failure you actually are. Because you can't find a way to survive as you are.

whitebutterfly11

I think, at our most basic level, what we need is acceptance. 

Acceptance of who we are, what we've lived, the intricate pieces that make up our character, our gifts, our downfalls--ALL OF IT. 

Then, we grow up in these environments where who we are is ridiculed, even a source of shame, and those messages never really leave us. They linger with us as we become adults and try to grapple with our roles as responsible, autonomous individuals, and they reawaken whenever other people treat us in ways that are similar to the ways we were treated before. 

And then new people and experiences add to the chaos of the past, then it becomes this sickening soup of false messages we are forced to gulp down each day. 

And yes, others are very eager to purge the pain out of us, as if it's easy to purge! As if a generic phrase will rewire a lifetime of pain. Or a strong, positive attitude of perseverance will paint its fakeness over the real, uphill drudgery of despair until it magically disappears. 

I'm sure, if there were some magical element that could materialize happiness and positivity out of nowhere, we'd all have signed up for it yesterday. ;)

It is difficult because it IS difficult, it's HEAVY, and it's burdensome for one person to bear up for long extended periods of time without relief. 

Quaddie

Thank you.

I was thinking about also on Maslow's hierarchy, where he has "esteem" - nowadays, people leap to assuming that means self-esteem (pop psychology!!) - but really he also means esteem by others, as in the form of acceptance and respect. And respect is something I've rarely experienced. Not even as in an authority on anything (although I've deserved that at some points), but just as a person. For some reason, it's like impossible for people to treat me with the same respect - esteem - they would others. It's insane, actually. Lots of infantilization and condescension. Criticism that I must have low self-esteem (because I look stereotypically like I do?) and therefore everything I do framed within that assumption - lots of really unflattering and condescending assumptions applied onto me - and then treated snidely or with angry indignation (or even more condescension) if I defy it or stand up against it, as in "How dare you think you are worth anything?" "How silly of you to think these things I believe about you aren't true!" "How dare you think you deserve to be treated equally to anyone else??" Or even just the treatment - even by total strangers - as if I'm a major beyotch if I'm not the passive compliant smiley mousey whatever who exists only to be their ... whatever they decide I am.

So yeah, never really been accepted or acceptable to others - not even basic family - even though *I* personally am okay with who I am, am continually reflected back to me by others how not-okay they feel I am - and how wrong I am to not accept their definitions - and they delve into VERY inappropriate realms, and then if I point out how it crosses boundaries, that is even more "wrongness" and "badness" that I embody, which must be squashed, and how DARE I say that they are being inappropriate!

and this is enforced in ways that threaten my survival (so it's not just shrug-offable). There's no way anymore for me to bend and shape myself into something that others can find acceptable - and my very appearance is constantly now deemed unacceptable, and I'm not going to get surgery or procedures to make other people not-abuse me, and I'm not going to "smile more" just so that others aren't offended by the way aging has made my face appear, just because no one will ascribe it to aging, doesn't make their misjudgments my own burden of responsibility to try to fix or prevent. 

Quaddie

...and it's difficult to explain how difficult life is when EVERYTHING basically is "triggering." Because that's how much stuff has happened.  Can't log into bank even for the simplest of tasks - avoid/panic. Just trying to set up a card and transfers for the "income" I temporarily have is major drama inside me, much days of avoidance and "I-can't-ness" and panic attacks when I actually have to work with it...  It's sort of insane...   And not JUST that. Like... everything. Because so much, so many aspects of my life have been source for trauma. It's insane :(. 

Mail is like a threat...  scary, I hate the mail, it's all over my table, I can't do it (too many bad things have happened from in mail, recurring just when I was starting to get better, and so this is a long-term issue... there's only one real way to make it better, the same "miracle" as what would fix everything else...)   And emails have been so much used against me and contained very bad things, too, that even email... voicemail...phone calls... just everyone needs to leave me alone, lol...

EVERYTHING is... something... Almost anything I watch or see, or do... associates to something else that sets my mind into upsetting places...  it's like constantly dancing on hot coals everywhere.  :(

whitebutterfly11

What we often see in survivors of multiple trauma is exactly what you are describing. :( 

Just yesterday my counselor described those feelings as not "triggers' but flashbacks--experienced through any reminder of a traumatic experience from any of the senses, stretching all the way from childhood into present adulthood. Also, the part of the brain responsible for giving us a time reference on when things happened, and what traumatic thing is happening now versus what happened in the past is compromised in trauma, so our brains literally and physically cannot tell the difference between present-day traumatic experiences and emotional flashbacks. They feel exactly the same, even childhood trauma can be felt exactly in the same way decades later, so it makes EVERYTHING dangerous, makes EVERY place or person feel like a threat to who you are.

Sorry, again going all nerd on trauma work. :)

It's also why, in trauma, people often describe themselves as fragmented, divided into parts where each part is associated with a different traumatic experience. It's an interesting process doing deep work, talking to those parts from our adult core that is wise and compassionate, telling our parts (often stuck in a trauma loop), that they are safe, that we are going to take care of them, that their feelings of threat and unease and distress are totally understandable considering what they've been through, and that we will navigate whatever comes up next to the best of our ability. 

I hope that made sense, lol.

So, to you, my wise friend, I say: It's okay to feel ALL of what you are feeling. To experience that sense of inadequacy. To be afraid of mail, of interactions with others who might hurt you, of anything that serves as a threat to you--it's okay because these are your defensive parts taking care of you. Aspects of who you are have been under threat and attack by exploitative people, so your concerns that you are not being seen or heard from your true core are VALID. Because people have attacked you so relentlessly just for being a living, breathing human being. And there is injustice in this all. An injustice that has not been allowed to be expressed, an advocacy that has not been offered to you when you needed it. All of your wise parts know that this is NOT OKAY.

That knowing voice, the one that tells you out loud it's okay: please, please listen to that one. And, in whatever possible way that may make you feel better, even a tiny bit, do what your soul needs whenever it needs it. 

:hug008:

Quaddie

Don't apologize, I like your nerdy. ;)

The thing is for me, there's never really been any safety. Everything has just piled on and piled on. So there is no real belief of safety or trust in safety because there never has been, and it just keeps getting worse instead of better, at a point in life where I'm too tired and too sick of everything to even have any iota of desire to navigate or deal or engage with any of it, anymore.   And also because it's not just "old" stuff, it keeps happening more and more, new stuff, worse and worse, and it's ENOUGH and I just can't.

If I can't rapidly find a way to subsist without immersing again into intolerable circumstances, I honestly don't know what I'll do.

Quaddie

This is how stupid this is.

I have to pay for medical insurance. So, bill paying itself...  is panic-inducing. But then so is medical anything. And envelopes and... everything. All of it.

I go to log in to pay and realize I don't know the login to pay (the first time I paid, it went through a different site).

I'm not sure which site to go through...  I'm panicking... going through my emails... One (direct from the company) says something about a stupid invoice from in the mail, except I'd already PAID that initial fee so I didn't think there'd be an invoice AND of course I don't/can't look at my mail.

...my chest starts hurting from the stress..

...so I have to try to recover an account or login or whatever from the company's direct site, and it tells me I have to look at the invoice (which I don't have and won't go look through my mail for)...    then a different recovery wants my member number...

...so I walk away going 'I can't do this i can't do this" and panicking and pacing angrily and upsettedly and go into my bedroom to go for my purse where the health card is to get the member number

... at this point I have to distract myself because I KNOW it's stupid and I can't DEAL so I open this window on this site and start to type to vent about how stupid I am...

so I go back into the bedroom to dig out the health card that came in the mail. It's in an envelope, still sealed, in my purse. Because yes, even opening an envelope that has my health card is just too much.

So I have the envelope and I'm panicking of course...  I slit it open and TYPE A BUNCH OF STUFF HERE to distract myself...

pull out the card and I can't look at it...

type some more...

wishing I could take some sort of substance to help me, but realizing this isn't a "big enough deal" to warrant it...

go find the tab with the login (I don't know about you, but I'm a browser many-multi-tabber, heheh)

enter the member number and make sure it's the right amount of digits... while still sort of freaking out 

enter all the info only I don't know the username and it's requiring it, holy crap just let me into the dang account I can't deal...

I take a guess and it says it's invalid and I'm losing it, then I see the screen actually gives me first and last letter of the real username with a bunch of asterisks so I am able to figure out the dang username (phew!)

It says my password recovery is complete and it'll email me a link to reset it, but it's taken me so long and so much stress to just get THAT far that I don't know if I can do any more... :( 
I manage to do it anyway... because I'm afraid it'll expire if I wait...

...and that's as far as I got. I still don't know if this is the right site to pay from.

that's how stupid this is. Every little thing.

Quaddie

.... andddddddddddddddd...... I know it's nothing to anyone, but that system wouldn't let me pay via a card I know I can legally use to pay, so now there's more drama and I just can't.

Also today there's some problem with my filing a claim that I'm entitled to enter into this system, and it's not working, and I could be eff'd because something is wrong and it's not letting me in...... and I needed substance help to even DO it this week......... so ..... it's a week's benefits at stake (or more) and feeling just effed in general by the world...  and wasted the state I needed to get in, in order to try....

I know, I know, I know, my drama is nothing   ..... but I can't describe my level of despair.

(Update, I was finally able to get into that claim system using a third type of browser after waiting a while, and submit that, but not before seriously being upset and panicking...   it was a system glitch but because there was something weird about the info I had to submit last week it was possible that the whole thing was going to go Kaput for me, which would have seriously impacted my life...  still going to panic for the next few weeks about it, probably...  because it's still not formally resolved...)