• Announcements

• Curly

Replying to PMs

Please note that you can not reply to a personal message by replying to the notification email. Recently admins have received some email responses to personal messages. This is because some members have replied to the notification email. You can not reply to a personal message via the email. What replying to the notification email does is send a copy of the original message and the reply to the admin email address. It does not send your reply to the person who sent you the message. The email notification of the personal message does request "PLEASE DO NOT REPLY DIRECTLY TO THIS EMAIL!"
    • Curly

New Members and validating your account.

New members registering please do not hesitate to contact our admin if you do not see a validation email within a few minutes of registering. Yahoo and some other email addresses tend to block the validation email and without this part of the process your account remains in limbo. Our admins are more than happy to help you complete the validation process should this automated system fail. We can be contacted via admin.our.place@gmail.com Please note that you may experience a delay between registering your account and validating before you are able to post as we do also manually process all registrations to keep this forum free of spam. Your account should be activated within 24 hours of you completing the validation process. Thank you.
InThisAttic

I'm new here and have a question...

InThisAttic

Hi, I just registered here a couple days ago, and i don't really want to share too much detail, but is it possible to be abused by your mother? I usually hear of people being abused by their fathers and only their fathers, and when I was younger, every time I sort of tried to talk about things she did, I was just told it was strict parenting.

I guess it might be an odd question, but is it common for mothers to be abusive? Obviously, I know that some are, but is it so uncommon that people often don't believe it?

Pi=3.14

Yes, you can more than be abused by your mother.  It is not unheard of.  I am sorry you had to go through that.  There is a big difference in being strict vs being abusive.  

AZ-home

Go to YouTube and type in Narcissistic Mothers to learn more about it and see if that is what you are dealing with. It's quite common and if that's what you're dealing with the your mother might be jealous of you and try to prohibit your success. If there are other children, they usually have a "golden child" and a "scape goat child." The golden child is seen as having all the mother's good traits and can do no wrong. The scape goat child is seen as having all the mother's bad traits and can do no right.

When I stumbled across this my jaw dropped. My mother is a saint, but my xh basically deemed our only child the golden child and I was the scape goat child and I was treated as a child and I could do nothing right. Good luck.

InThisAttic
On 9/1/2017 at 4:38 PM, Pi=3.14 said:

Yes, you can more than be abused by your mother.  It is not unheard of.  I am sorry you had to go through that.  There is a big difference in being strict vs being abusive.  

Thank you... I really don't know why I posted this topic in the first place; I guess i just needed some sort of validation that what I'm going through is real. I really appreciate you responding

InThisAttic
1 hour ago, AZ-home said:

Go to YouTube and type in Narcissistic Mothers to learn more about it and see if that is what you are dealing with. It's quite common and if that's what you're dealing with the your mother might be jealous of you and try to prohibit your success. If there are other children, they usually have a "golden child" and a "scape goat child." The golden child is seen as having all the mother's good traits and can do no wrong. The scape goat child is seen as having all the mother's bad traits and can do no right.

When I stumbled across this my jaw dropped. My mother is a saint, but my xh basically deemed our only child the golden child and I was the scape goat child and I was treated as a child and I could do nothing right. Good luck.

I looked it up, but I'm not entirely sure if that's what I'm going through with my mom. I wouldn't really say that my mother is jealous, and while I do have an older sister, I wouldn't put either of us under the label of scapegoat or golden child.

It's more of a situation where she expects so, so much from us, and if we don't do something correctly, she blows over. For most my life I thought this was normal and okay, something that all mothers did... It was just a few years ago, really, that I figured this wasn't normal. I don't really know what to call it, though.

Still, thank you so much for responding, and I'm sorry you had to go through something similiar :(

Pi=3.14
2 hours ago, InThisAttic said:

Thank you... I really don't know why I posted this topic in the first place; I guess i just needed some sort of validation that what I'm going through is real. I really appreciate you responding

You are very welcome.  You needed to know if you were correct in your feelings, there is not reason to feel silly or anything.  I am with the poster below me, look up Narcissistic Mothers.  There are groups and forums out there alike as well.  I have looked it up myself because I was curious if there was a lot of awareness about this subject.  There is but not as much as it should be.