• Announcements

• vpc

Our Place Has Moved   09/30/2018

Our Place has moved to a new location:      http://ourplaceonline.freeforums.net/forum  You will need to reregister at the new site as we are unable to transfer any content from here to there.   You will no longer be able to post here after 4th October, but the forum will remain visible until the end of October. If you are having problems registering at the new site, please admin.our.place@gmail.com                                                                                             
Sign in to follow this  
liz1

Abuse by medical professionals in Finland

liz1
I am from Finland originally, but have also lived in the US. I have lived in Finland for the past year and before that I lived in Chicago. I was abused by a doctor at the Oulu University Hospital in Northern Finland when given too much pain medication after an accident in January this year. I was nearly unconscious and a female doctor (ca 50 years old) asked me disgusting sexual questions in front of 9 people and provoked me to talk about sexual things nobody would ever discuss with any stranger, while I was heavily sedated. Nine people were watching and nobody intervened. Actually on the contrary, two older nurses (a male and a female) urged the female doctor to continue and I was abused even more. 
I have been even more hurt about the fact that the medical staff hid and did not report the case. I have contacted the hospital, but all I have received is denial. It seems unbelievable to me that medical staff in Finland can commit a crime and hide it just to make sure that they do not get caught. They do not care how much they hurt others as long as they are fine.

Unfortunately hiding medical errors is a common practice in Finland. I am only one among many others being hurt this way. However, I think my case is different as in my case a crime was also committed. I have contacted the police regarding this. Let's see if I will ever get any justice. My hopes are not very high knowing how things like these have been handled in Finland in the past.  
I pray to God I can leave this country asap and I hope I will never have to return!!!
I have been truly traumatized by the event and have been in trauma therapy for months now. The AJC magazine put it really well "Hurt that does not heal"
I wonder if anybody knows of any support groups or of any people with similar situation to mine that I could talk to. I have not received any proper therapy for PTSD  in Finland and a psychiatrist just almost dismissed my case as I was not able to tell her much about what had happened. She pretty much just sent me home telling me that eg. CBT for PTSD is not available in Oulu unless I go to a private clinic.
I would really appreciate your help as I have noticed that I have the symptoms of PTSD that can be quite severe and have lasted for way too long. Talking to other people with similar experiences I think could be of great benefit. 
Hopefully you have time to get in touch LIz

Pi=3.14

OMG, I am very sorry this happened to you.  You are right, things like this are "common place" in a lot of areas.  It's sick and vile.  I will never understand the sheer joy these people get out of other pain.  They should all be held accountable as no one did anything to come to your aid.

Have you heard anything back?

Virtual hug.

liz1

Thanks you for your reply and your support. I recived a letter from the local police 23.12. They said they  will not investigate as there is no proof and one can just be overly sensitive. According to the letter the incident was minor. Good to know though then the policemen and  their friends and family can be treated exactly the same way when they get treated no harm DONE. It really feels like I live in the land of apes. I do not know what to do. I wiill however, try to make this as public as I can 

Merru Christmas and a huge hug to you too from Finland