• Announcements

• Curly

Replying to PMs

Please note that you can not reply to a personal message by replying to the notification email. Recently admins have received some email responses to personal messages. This is because some members have replied to the notification email. You can not reply to a personal message via the email. What replying to the notification email does is send a copy of the original message and the reply to the admin email address. It does not send your reply to the person who sent you the message. The email notification of the personal message does request "PLEASE DO NOT REPLY DIRECTLY TO THIS EMAIL!"
    • Curly

New Members and validating your account.

New members registering please do not hesitate to contact our admin if you do not see a validation email within a few minutes of registering. Yahoo and some other email addresses tend to block the validation email and without this part of the process your account remains in limbo. Our admins are more than happy to help you complete the validation process should this automated system fail. We can be contacted via admin.our.place@gmail.com Please note that you may experience a delay between registering your account and validating before you are able to post as we do also manually process all registrations to keep this forum free of spam. Your account should be activated within 24 hours of you completing the validation process. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Curly

Fake Auslan on FaceBook

25 posts in this topic

Just wanted to warn anyone who is friends with Auslan on FB that someone has stolen her ID and there are at least 3 fakes. They have used her photos. There appears to be a scam connected to the fake Auslans.

The real Auslan is friends with quite a few people from here. One fake has picked up at least 3 or more people from here.

Auslan is not responsible for what is happening. Her name and ID is being used by someone.

I just felt that I should warn people as there is something going on that is not ligitimate.

At least DMC and I had messages on FB sent by one of the fakes saying we had won a huge amount of money and claiming that Auslan had already received a huge amount from the same source.

Any questions PM me.

Just be careful. Report any messages you get.

Wow! How do we know if it's really her?

Just wanted to warn anyone who is friends with Auslan on FB that someone has stolen her ID and there are at least 3 fakes. They have used her photos. There appears to be a scam connected to the fake Auslans.

The real Auslan is friends with quite a few people from here. One fake has picked up at least 3 or more people from here.

Auslan is not responsible for what is happening. Her name and ID is being used by someone.

I just felt that I should warn people as there is something going on that is not ligitimate.

At least DMC and I had messages on FB sent by one of the fakes saying we had won a huge amount of money and claiming that Auslan had already received a huge amount from the same source.

Any questions PM me.

Oi! Curly! I'm Disco now, not DMC! LOL :animal-smiley-040:

Auslan, Hun, you have a stalker on Facebook (obviously). But you already know that I think.

I replied back to the 'fake you' on Facebook and they replied back to me. So, they are active on that (your) account. :( English does not appear to be their first language though.

I think you should report it to Facebook & make your profile private on there until you sort it all out. It seems they know a bit? about you too. I dunno, if it happened to me I would do some investigating to find out who it is ... but that's just me.

I reported & de-friended this account BTW.

Cheers

D

Wow! How do we know if it's really her?

Ask around (well, that's what I did) & you will work it out I'm sure.

D

Any questions PM me.

I got that message, too. Knew immediately it was one of the fakes and was going to tell her. Glad she knows and hope she can fix it.

TooLong

I got that message, too. Knew immediately it was one of the fakes and was going to tell her. Glad she knows and hope she can fix it.

TooLong

It seems this fake is close at hand, IMO. Just from what I have gleaned.

Auslan, have you discovered who it is yet?

D

Now that explains why she asked me the other day if I was really me! (On facebook.) I'd given her a link to something.

I think it was the real Auslan......

Thanks for letting us know.

No, I haven't found out who the rat bag is....I have 2 theories....1. Is that it's a person who has been targetting the Deaf communtiy for a while now, and sending emails telling them they've won a shitload of money to help them as they are Deaf, and the writer will pretend to be me or someone else.

I would NEVER broadcast that kind of info to anyone at all-except my own family, so right there, you can tell it's not me.

A friend of mine and I have a theory that it's someone who has got it in for the Deaf for some reason, and uses their profiles to suck other deaf in...in fact, there was one guy who is VERY well-thought of in the Deaf community, and HEAPS of Deaf were believing this email came from him. Unfortunately, some of the Deaf ARE very guillable and naiive!! We think they get in through the Deaf "like" the Deaf organisations on fb, like DeafAustralia, VSDC, VicDeaf etc etc.

The 2nd theory I have, is that it's the ex husband of a friend of mine paying me back for telling my friend he'd been in contact with his kids which was against the intervention orders she took out on him. But I can't prove it.

I am unable to get to the fake profiles in order to report them, bse the hacker has blocked me from seeing them. I used to be able to do it through my hubby's account, but it looks as though he's on to that as well, bse I can't see the profile through there anymore. When I saw these accounts, I was reporting them, but fb didn't do a phoey thing!

I really wish they'd take it seriously! Some chick from my church tried to tell me that it was no big deal, and that there was no point doing anything as it was harmless! But I was rather suss right there, bse this person said she works with fb...but the problem is, this girl is actually a 16 year old girl who is still at school-studying year 11 or 12, I believe....so where would she even get the time to do this????

I don't know what to do any more...I'm not computer-savvy...I've tried everything I can, but nothing seems to work, and it's really upsetting me!!

AuslanGirl :wub:

AG I just hope you sort it out, Sweetie. Whomever is doing this to you Online is 'muck' IMO.

x D

I'm so sorry Auslan. (I finally got my iPhone to let me type your username correctly. Lol) That is such a violation. So are you the real one on my facebook? I haven't got anything fishy from you. I wish I knew what to tell you but I'm not savvy that way either. I hope someone can help you with this.

Yeah!

It is such a pain in the you-know-where!!

Sorry if I came accross as rude, Jacky....I just don't know when or how they'll strike next, ya know? I am super careful of who I add as well now too! I make darn sure I know the person, and that they are genuine etc etc before I will add them. It sort of makes it hard with the Deaf though, bse some of the Deaf will tend to add other deaf just bse they are Deaf or if they are friends with their Deaf friends, bse the community is so darn small! I had one add me the other day, and I checked him out, and he seems to be a real person. I've seen his posts on fb with others of my friends, so I know he's legit.

I just wish this would all stop! I like going on fb for a bit of downtime and relaxation...it's not so relaxing atm!

Yeah!

It is such a pain in the you-know-where!!

Sorry if I came accross as rude, Jacky....I just don't know when or how they'll strike next, ya know? I am super careful of who I add as well now too! I make darn sure I know the person, and that they are genuine etc etc before I will add them. It sort of makes it hard with the Deaf though, bse some of the Deaf will tend to add other deaf just bse they are Deaf or if they are friends with their Deaf friends, bse the community is so darn small! I had one add me the other day, and I checked him out, and he seems to be a real person. I've seen his posts on fb with others of my friends, so I know he's legit.

I just wish this would all stop! I like going on fb for a bit of downtime and relaxation...it's not so relaxing atm!

Well, you have a friend who dogged you, sadly, hate to point out the obvious :(

I think the fake one did send out friend invites some time back. I did some checking and rejected it as I was already connected to the real AG.

The most obvious difference is in the number of friends. Real AG has a heap of friends listed. One fake had 16 and the others none when I looked.

Yeah! That's right, Curly!

My REAL profile has over 200 friends....and the fake ones, well....the most they've had has been 45, I think. It seems like the fake Auslan is sending those money emails and trying to duplicate itself. I wish I knoew how they got the photos...unless....the photo that's up now was in my photos before I went private...so, they should all be private now, shouldn't they?

I might see if I can get some more pics of me and chagne my profile pic (again!!), and hopefully the moron WON'T be able to do that photo, bse it will be private....hmmmm....

I just night do that.

Wish me luck!

Hey Linny? If you didn't get that email, chances are the fake Auslan hasn't got to you....it seems to be very random.

Aus. You were not rude at all. LOL though I did wonder for a few minutes if you were you! I knew you were you because whoever they are there are things they could not talk about because their ignorance would be pretty obvious. I hope this gets sorted soon. LOL and cos ur here I know we were who we both said we was just now! Flexi time means I am later for work but nobody can complain! Hence why I am still here!!!!!

Jacky

Auslan, the fake gave themselves away when they PM'd me. They didn't write at all like you. They were full of spelling and grammatical errors that I don't usually see in your writing, and they used somewhat broken English. When I pointed out that you were already on my friend list, they said, "That account is blocked. Please delete it." When I went to your wall, I saw you had all kinds of recent activity on it, plus a discussion about the fake account! So I deleted the fake one and blocked them.

But then I decided to re-add them, so I could keep an eye on what was going on. I thought surely they'd not add me after I blocked them once, but they did. Not a very smart cookie whoever it is. There were a few people who posted on the wall with things like "I thought we were ALREADY friends?" I PM'd those people to let them know it's a fake account. I saw that some of those people had deleted your other account as your real account was not on our common friends list.

As I did once before, I reported that account to Facebook, letting them know it was an impersonator of you. (Just now I went to check and see if the account is still active. It is. So I reported it yet again. Doesn't FB give a rip about impersonation? They recently tore into a friend of mine who used a fake name to protect herself from people she didn't want to find her. FB wrote her a letter telling her she had to send in proof of her real name before they would consider reactivating her account! Yet FB gets a bunch of reports of impersonation and they do NOTHING about THIS?)

I got an email from you Auslan. It was about $850,000.00 check. What should I do? I'm pretty certain you are the real Auslan on my friends list so I don't want to block you. Maybe they are only using your friends list and trying to scam them that way. Should I report them to fb? Probably useless, eh? Just wanted to let you know. :( Sorry you're stressed out by this.

I got an email from you Auslan. It was about $850,000.00 check. What should I do? I'm pretty certain you are the real Auslan on my friends list so I don't want to block you. Maybe they are only using your friends list and trying to scam them that way. Should I report them to fb? Probably useless, eh? Just wanted to let you know. :( Sorry you're stressed out by this.

Actually, that would HAVE TO BE the fake Auslan.

Is it an actual email, Linny?

Do you have full headers?

That would be an immense help in shutting this crook down...

I checked your friends, and you DO have the REAL AG as a friend...

...nonetheless, the NON-real AG has her email contacts, it seems.

Ty Lily. No it's only a facebook email. No information at all.

Just got the fake message and am reporting it...Soo annoying!

Linny you are friends with the real Auslan but anyone including the fake Auslan can send you a message. They are sending messages to people on real Auslan's friends list. I had the same message about the 850,000 and so did others here. That is part of why I posted about it here.

A couple of people did reply to that message and got very un Auslan like replies.

I think it is important to report and keep on reporting these scammers and identity thieves.

The more people who search for and then report the fakes the better. Just search Auslan's name and click on the see all results or whatever option is it and AG and the fakes will be at the top. Currently there appears to only be one fake left. The fake has a profile picture of AG and H. The real on currently has a dog. The fake has 42 friends. The real one over 250. You can report them for impersonating someone you know.

Thanks Curly. Done.

Well, I hope I found the right fake one. I just reported them. It looks like they've lost some friends since you posted. This one only had 15.

I am wondering if one has blocked me as I can no longer see the one with 15.

There is someone there warning people too. I won't say who just to be on the safe side.