• Announcements

• Curly

Replying to PMs

Please note that you can not reply to a personal message by replying to the notification email. Recently admins have received some email responses to personal messages. This is because some members have replied to the notification email. You can not reply to a personal message via the email. What replying to the notification email does is send a copy of the original message and the reply to the admin email address. It does not send your reply to the person who sent you the message. The email notification of the personal message does request "PLEASE DO NOT REPLY DIRECTLY TO THIS EMAIL!"
    • Curly

New Members and validating your account.

New members registering please do not hesitate to contact our admin if you do not see a validation email within a few minutes of registering. Yahoo and some other email addresses tend to block the validation email and without this part of the process your account remains in limbo. Our admins are more than happy to help you complete the validation process should this automated system fail. We can be contacted via admin.our.place@gmail.com Please note that you may experience a delay between registering your account and validating before you are able to post as we do also manually process all registrations to keep this forum free of spam. Your account should be activated within 24 hours of you completing the validation process. Thank you.
Curly

Article on pets and domestic violence.

8 posts in this topic

A DVRC article on pets and domestic violence. Pets are also often harmed in domestic violence situations and in some instances the victims delay leaving or will not leave because of concerns for the family pet. In some areas there are now services to care for these animals so that the woman can seek refuge.

I know my experience was that although x did not threaten my pets or use them that way he was cruel to them. He did not kill them or ever leave them seriously injured but he would torment them doing things intended to hurt. His thing was to put chilli powder or lemon zest in their eyes, pull their whiskers and other things to cause the animal distress. I am well aware that many abusers did much worse.

I do think it is important for the human victims as well as the animals involved that there is a safe place for the animals to go so that the human victims feel that they can leave knowing their pets will be safe.

The article.

A DVRC article on pets and domestic violence. Pets are also often harmed in domestic violence situations and in some instances the victims delay leaving or will not leave because of concerns for the family pet. In some areas there are now services to care for these animals so that the woman can seek refuge.

I know my experience was that although x did not threaten my pets or use them that way he was cruel to them. He did not kill them or ever leave them seriously injured but he would torment them doing things intended to hurt. His thing was to put chilli powder or lemon zest in their eyes, pull their whiskers and other things to cause the animal distress. I am well aware that many abusers did much worse.

I do think it is important for the human victims as well as the animals involved that there is a safe place for the animals to go so that the human victims feel that they can leave knowing their pets will be safe.

The article.

I took on a dog and a cat last year for my neighbor who then went to a safehouse. She's still there. We're going to keep the dog. The cat I just had to put to sleep because of liver failure. It was very sad. But like my neighbor said, at least he got to have a year of his life happy and not scared. The dog is doing wonderfully although he is still a little shy with strangers. He's changed alot over the year. I'm glad there are programs for the pets.

I took on a dog and a cat last year for my neighbor who then went to a safehouse. She's still there. We're going to keep the dog. The cat I just had to put to sleep because of liver failure. It was very sad. But like my neighbor said, at least he got to have a year of his life happy and not scared. The dog is doing wonderfully although he is still a little shy with strangers. He's changed alot over the year. I'm glad there are programs for the pets.

I'm glad there are kind-hearted loving people like you.

:wub:

Lily

If you have me on FB, you know I posted an article about a woman who escaped with her rabbit (who had his front teeth broken when her abusive ex punched the rabbit in the face) and was living on the street with her rabbit because shelters would not accept pets. When it got too cold out, she was able to get help from a local rabbit rescue who took the rabbit in for her.

http://www.hrsmostl.org/a-christmas-message.html

http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifestyle/pet...lk-rabbit_N.htm

As a result, volunteers have also donated many items to the local DV shelter. So it really turned into more than helping one woman escape abuse. The rabbit was also spayed, per rescue policy, and was found to have cancer, which was successfully removed. So it was really a double life saver for the rabbit, not to mention her mom, who will hopefully be able to take her back when she is able to get housing and will not be faced with losing her prematurely.

If you have me on FB, you know I posted an article about a woman who escaped with her rabbit (who had his front teeth broken when her abusive ex punched the rabbit in the face) and was living on the street with her rabbit because shelters would not accept pets. When it got too cold out, she was able to get help from a local rabbit rescue who took the rabbit in for her.

http://www.hrsmostl.org/a-christmas-message.html

http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifestyle/pet...lk-rabbit_N.htm

As a result, volunteers have also donated many items to the local DV shelter. So it really turned into more than helping one woman escape abuse. The rabbit was also spayed, per rescue policy, and was found to have cancer, which was successfully removed. So it was really a double life saver for the rabbit, not to mention her mom, who will hopefully be able to take her back when she is able to get housing and will not be faced with losing her prematurely.

what a great story for the bunny. I hope the woman got the help she needed. I used to volunteer for house rabbit resource network. It's a great rescue program.

And people give me a hard time about leaving my 25 alpacas!

This is huge. Its hard to imagine if you are not a pet owner how deep your love is and very honestly your responsibility to them is.

I would be long gone even if I lived in the street were it not for my cats or just haveing a safe place for them to land for awhile while I get my head together and back on my feet.

It would be hard if not impossible for someone to run from abuse and live with the guilt of knowing your pets would take the retaiation and suffer from having left.

I realize this is why I fear rehoming any of my cats because I fear they would be abused...I grew up with , although he never did it my dad always saying when he was mad.."I'm going to kill your dog I hate that dog I'm gonna shoot that dog",

If I ever got on my feet I would want to foster animals for abused women.

Lizzy I don't know the story but bless you and your alpacas

I definitely avoided leaving two different relationships because of concerns about pets. The first one, my ex husband would threaten to take the dog to the shelter. And I knew I had nowhere to take him. The second time, the ex boyfriend never threatened my lizard but I knew I had nowhere to take him and that my partner at the time certainly wouldn't take care of him and was unstable enough to potentially hurt him. It is a real concern but I'm not sure what the answer is. It's great when shelters can accommodate animals but I understand it's not always possible.