• Announcements

• Curly

Replying to PMs

Please note that you can not reply to a personal message by replying to the notification email. Recently admins have received some email responses to personal messages. This is because some members have replied to the notification email. You can not reply to a personal message via the email. What replying to the notification email does is send a copy of the original message and the reply to the admin email address. It does not send your reply to the person who sent you the message. The email notification of the personal message does request "PLEASE DO NOT REPLY DIRECTLY TO THIS EMAIL!"
    • Curly

New Members and validating your account.

New members registering please do not hesitate to contact our admin if you do not see a validation email within a few minutes of registering. Yahoo and some other email addresses tend to block the validation email and without this part of the process your account remains in limbo. Our admins are more than happy to help you complete the validation process should this automated system fail. We can be contacted via admin.our.place@gmail.com Please note that you may experience a delay between registering your account and validating before you are able to post as we do also manually process all registrations to keep this forum free of spam. Your account should be activated within 24 hours of you completing the validation process. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Problemsaplenty

A success story.

3 posts in this topic

Hey there. I posted here eons ago about my problems and then vanished, as internet users tend to do. I figured I'd come back and write about what's happened since. Also, it's an excuse to ramble, if I'm being honest :P

To recap my situation, I'd been living with my abusive mother. She's a substance abuser, always drinking and smoking, and she has health problems that range from fibromyalgia to dementia more recently. Her abuse has been emotional abuse, she's done plenty to keep me down over the years. She'd get nasty and then forget it, has an incredible aversion to being wrong even when sober, and throws tantrums over the smallest things. A real piece of work. I could go on with horror stories for hours, but that's a decent enough explanation. Being stuck with her for decades has left me with depression, emotional problems and the occasional suicide attempt. I'm 33 by the way, a real late bloomer thanks to her interference.

I started making some real progress in the last year and a half though. It started by getting a bus pass. I learned the routes and started to get out more. Then I signed up for a driving school and learned how to drive. That took weeks longer than it should've because my mother's antics made me reschedule several times. I got some extra practice in by paying a guy off Craigslist to sit in the car as I drove, then I went with my brother Mike to get my license. That was an ordeal, but I succeeded. Upon getting home, my mother did not say anything congratulatory or celebratory, no, she immediately demanded my license info for insurance purposes. That's always how it goes, she always manages to be a downer.

So, suddenly I could drive. That helped a ton. A month and a half later, I applied for my first job and got it, working at a grocery store. Nothing glamorous, but hey, it was work. Cue her ranting about how I'd fail because my pant legs were too long. Really. That sort of pettiness happened daily. My working was her excuse to start demanding money from me, and then cutting me off entirely in terms of finances - she'd been supporting me because I was unable to get work prior. I worked at that job for six months, and then things came to a head. We got notice from the office, after many warnings, that we're being evicted from the apartment we were in because my mother kept smoking indoors over and over, breaking the no smoking clause on the lease. She went outside to smoke at the apartment for the first year and a half, which was fine, all of a sudden she just stopped caring. She swears to this day that she never smoked in the apartment... sometimes WHILE smoking, as my brother has witnessed. Thankfully it wasn't a true eviction, because I'd been a model tenant they let us just pay our rent and leave.

So I had my license, I had income, but suddenly I had 30 days to find my own car and my own housing. Obviously my mother wouldn't lift a finger to help me, since she jumped between caring about me and despising me on an hourly basis. After checking some apartments and engaging in general panic, I took an out that I had - a friend/former romantic interest of mine in Texas offered to take me in, no matter what, if I needed safe harbor. So I took him up on that offer, and got to packing. A week before the deadline, my friend drove up all the way up to Illinois, got me and my stuff, and drove back. That was a 22 hour trip each way. He really does care about me. My mother's final words to me? "Good luck and good riddance". Ugh. I will never forget that.

That was a month ago. I'm living with my friend and his wife, rent free, and they feed me too. I've been doing my part, and have taken on every last household chore which is a huge relief for them. It's like, how did I live before this? I can go out to the kitchen anytime without fear of harassment. I don't have to stockpile food in my room so I don't go hungry when the kitchen's unavailable due to someone being on the warpath. I don't have to keep my door locked, and sometimes barricaded, at all hours. I'm with people I trust and care about who feel the same, and for the first time in decades, I feel SAFE. I have to figure out things, find work, so on and so forth, but now I can do actually do so without someone trying to drag me down and ruin me. There's issues here, I didn't know their dog is a piss tsunami, but really, none of my options were perfect and it's nothing I can't live with or work through. Life always has it's rainclouds.

As for my horrid mother, she basically didn't even try to move out. She conned a lawyer who goes to the same church as her to get her three extensions with the office, who did formally evict her. She was there up until the last day or so before the police got involved. Her church took pity on her and helped her find a place and move her mountains of trash. Now she's living in a one-bedroom apartment that's $1300 a month. She's doomed. She'll either run out of money with her poor financial decisions within months, or she'll get evicted again after smoking indoors more and flaunting the rules. And I don't care. After what I've dealt with over the years, she's dead to me. My brother is keeping tabs on her and keeping me up to date. The hammer is going to hit her HARD, because karma is definitely a thing in this case.

Well, that's my story. Moral is, kiddos, always reach out, make connections, and don't give up. You never know who might save your life.

One small step that changed your whole outlook and outcome!!  And.........sanity and peace is never to be overrated!  Way to go and good luck as you continue to find your new life!

Hi there! I wasn't around when you first came on the forum but nevertheless I am SO happy to read your success story :)  It is wonderful to feel all the self-empowerment, hope and optimism in your post. It really is the smallest step that starts us on the most powerful journeys. I wish you all kinds of luck and joy on your continued adventures in building a life of safety, support and love! <3