• Announcements

• Curly

Replying to PMs

Please note that you can not reply to a personal message by replying to the notification email. Recently admins have received some email responses to personal messages. This is because some members have replied to the notification email. You can not reply to a personal message via the email. What replying to the notification email does is send a copy of the original message and the reply to the admin email address. It does not send your reply to the person who sent you the message. The email notification of the personal message does request "PLEASE DO NOT REPLY DIRECTLY TO THIS EMAIL!"
    • Curly

New Members and validating your account.

New members registering please do not hesitate to contact our admin if you do not see a validation email within a few minutes of registering. Yahoo and some other email addresses tend to block the validation email and without this part of the process your account remains in limbo. Our admins are more than happy to help you complete the validation process should this automated system fail. We can be contacted via admin.our.place@gmail.com Please note that you may experience a delay between registering your account and validating before you are able to post as we do also manually process all registrations to keep this forum free of spam. Your account should be activated within 24 hours of you completing the validation process. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hoping

Took a Step

16 posts in this topic

I finally went to the social security office and ask them to take my husband off of my account as a payee. Since I have depression he is over my money. I am better, so I wanted them to put it in my own account. One of the workers previously told me I could come in to the office and they would evaluate me. I went in and they told me my husband needed to come in with me to change it or I would have to get my doctor to sign some papers they gave me. I am glad I took that step and feel good that I did.

That is great that you have taken a step forward. Sometimes one step taken leads to more.

Well done.

You should feel very proud of yourself! I know that is a big deal for you and was hard to do, and worries you.

I'd go the doctor route. You know your husband would fight you and make you feel like you can't/shouldn't - so I'd recommend talking to your doctor about the signoff.

So happy for you that you did that!!

Congratulations hoping. I would definitely go the doctor route. I imagine your husband would do everything to undermine you if you asked him. I wouldn't risk the set back. This shows how strong you are getting. You can do it.

Curly, Quaddie, and Bennu thank you for your replies and thank you for your advise. I was trying to decide what to do, ask him and tell him I want it in my account because I am an adult and I am better or go to a dr. and get them to do it. Since you advised it, I will try the dr. way. I was afraid because they could cut me off and say I am well enough to work, but I am not. Then that would cause a big problem with my husband due to finances and him telling me not to do this. This still could happen, but I'm going to take the chance.

You took a huge step forward!  Being well enough to manage your money does not mean you're well enough to work.

Definitely get the letter from your physician.

percolate

Thank you for your advice.

Having control over your own money is a positive thing, and an empowering thing.  I would also go the Dr route. 

Fightingtobeme

Thank you for your advise.

One small decision can lead to feeling better about yourself and standing up for you................good for you hoping!!

lizzibethak

Thank You

Congratulations, Hoping.  That took courage and you did it!  I, also, think the Dr. route is the right route to go.  And remember, there are lots of people on disability who are in control of their own money.  You go girl!   :disco-084:

Grabforjoy

Thank you. I called social security again and the lady told me that I should go back to the office and this time ask to speak to a supervisor, that the lady told me wrong and they can assess me at the office.

Hoping, this is a wonderful step! Please keep us posted. :)

Great to hear! Do let us know. :)

Whitebutterfly and Quaddie

Thank you and I will let you know what they say.