• Announcements

• Curly

Replying to PMs

Please note that you can not reply to a personal message by replying to the notification email. Recently admins have received some email responses to personal messages. This is because some members have replied to the notification email. You can not reply to a personal message via the email. What replying to the notification email does is send a copy of the original message and the reply to the admin email address. It does not send your reply to the person who sent you the message. The email notification of the personal message does request "PLEASE DO NOT REPLY DIRECTLY TO THIS EMAIL!"
    • Curly

New Members and validating your account.

New members registering please do not hesitate to contact our admin if you do not see a validation email within a few minutes of registering. Yahoo and some other email addresses tend to block the validation email and without this part of the process your account remains in limbo. Our admins are more than happy to help you complete the validation process should this automated system fail. We can be contacted via admin.our.place@gmail.com Please note that you may experience a delay between registering your account and validating before you are able to post as we do also manually process all registrations to keep this forum free of spam. Your account should be activated within 24 hours of you completing the validation process. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rainbow

OT

11 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I've strained my neck and upper back joints, C2-3 and C7-T3.

Do I need to see a physiotherapist or chiropractor for treatment?

I've started physio, he wants me to come 4 times this weeks, twice a week for 3 weeks then once a week for 2 weeks....but i don't know if this is the best treatment - my housemate has started the chiro debate.

Your experiences?

Many thanks

I've only done physio once, but I'm a fan of chiro. It's really unpleasant and jerky, but I know the pain relief for me is immediate. Due to poor posture and a couple of other things my muscles have strengthened into odd ways that put pressure on my bones, which in turn puts pressure on my nerves. The point of chiro is to put the bones back into the place they're meant to be, meanwhile it should be combined with a training of the muscles to hold them there.

I think, and I might be wrong, physio is about working with the muscles so they are strong in the right places and therefore would naturally hold the bones in the place they're meant to be. The time I went to the physio I walked out with a whole heap of exersizes I was meant to do, and no immediate relief. I tried the exersizes but it didn't really help.

Chiro isn't for everyone though. You also need to ensure you go to a good one, I know people who went to a chiro who got it wrong. One lady I know now has permanent damage. I'm not trying to scare you (really I'm not), but you should know the risks.

It really depends on your injury and how it occured.

I think, and I might be wrong, physio is about working with the muscles so they are strong in the right places and therefore would naturally hold the bones in the place they're meant to be. The time I went to the physio I walked out with a whole heap of exersizes I was meant to do, and no immediate relief. I tried the exersizes but it didn't really help.

Thanks for your reply.

Physio's move bones too cause i had a bulging disc at L4 and it was fully fixed by a physio. He pushed on the vertebrate to fix it - muscles weren't involved. I used a yoga block at home to strength the vertebrate everyday, to stop it from cramping.

This new guy moved my vertebrate to loosen the current problem too - so they do more that just muscle stuff.

If it's working for you, then stick with it.

When I go to the chiro, he not only puts the bones back in place at the point where it's hurting, but he looks at how that has thrown other bones out (or the cause/symptom could be the other way around). The pain I get is in the upper part of my back, but normally my hips, sections of my back and my neck are all out, sometimes my ribs have shifted too. It's a wholistic approach to the skeletal structure. I actually get a slight limp because my twisted hips make one leg just a little bit shorter.

I don't think a physio would look at that. But seriously, if the injury is a once off and the physio is helping, then stick with it. My injuries are long term and the chiro is working with me to fix the underlying causes instead of the symptoms.

I think I just made myself out to look like Quasimodo! It's not that bad, really! Lol

Chiro every time for me. The longer you leave it the worse it can get plus my chiro is super!! :D

I would say PT over chiropractic, but that's just my own opinion. My sister is a PT. She doesn't put much stock in chiropractic medicine. I tend to agree with her.

ok maybe i should just stick to my physio cause a friend just warned me that there is no scientific evidence that chiro works, and i just found this on wiki:

The scientific consensus is that chiropractic may be on a par with other manual therapies for some musculoskeletal conditions such as lower back pain, but that there is no credible evidence or mechanism for effects on other conditions, and some evidence of severe adverse effects from cervical vertebral manipulation.[9] The ideas of innate intelligence and the chiropractic subluxation are regarded as pseudoscience.[10

LOL It would be so much more pleasant if my chiro just gave me a sugar pill!

Whatever works for you, I say.

It's hard to know the best treatment, hey there r too may out there.

Just remember that doctors were considered "quacks" in the old days and healing women were "witches". Doctors like to guard their hard fought territory nowadays just like the priests liked to guard theirs.

my husband has had a lot of back pain, been on his back, thrown it out and down for days at a time in the past. Finally got him to dr, they gave him a shot, but that was a temp fix, Not sure what Physio is on this post, or if thats the same as Physical Therapy?

If so, I think both Chiro and Physical Therapy are good.

Ive used both, my husband did the physical therapy but it was limited and expensive. As was mine for my wrist after I broke it.

He sees an awesome Chiro now, who specializes in sports medicine and athletes. My husband also found out he has degenerative discs in his lower back.

Since seeing this guy, hes not been down anymore, the guy gave him a "Rumble Roller" and its been a godsend for him to help with stiffness and pain, he has one for travel size he can take to work and for travel.

Ive seen more benefit from chiro though for my husband. And we now have insurance that covers it which helps!